Dr. Suporn Watanyusakul MD is a Thai plastic surgeon practicing in Chonburi, 80Km south-east from Bangkok, Thailand. Dr. Suporn is one of the world’s leader in male-to-female (MtF) sex reassignment surgery (SRS) for which he developed his own surgical technique that does not involve the classic penile skin inversion and that is known as “Dr. Suporn’s SRS technique” or as “Watanyusakul Proprietary Non-Penile Skin Inversion Technique” performed and taught since the year 2000. Dr. Suporn is an expert facial plastic surgeon also in facial feminization procedures and in this field he developed another proprietary technique to effectively reduce forehead brow bossing in medium severity cases.
Dr. Suporn Watanyusakul MD founded his clinic, The Suporn Clinic, in 1992 in Chonburi, Thailand.
Dr. Suporn announced his retirement in May 2017 which was due by the end of 2018. As of today, his retirement has been deferred and he plans to keep performing some of the primary sex reassignment procedures as well as some of the facial feminization procedures until the end of 2020. During this time, he is also mentoring and teaching his chosen “elite surgeons team” to perform his surgical techniques and to develop the highest possible standard in surgery and in patient satisfaction.
Dr. Suporn performed over 3000 primary sex reassignment surgeries in his career on patients from over 40 nationalities, mainly Americans (from the USA) and Europeans. He published several medical papers and presented them at medical conferences showing his superior results when compared to the more traditional surgical techniques.
Education and Training
- Doctor of Medicine, Chiangmai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 1985
- Diploma of the Thai Board of General Surgery, 1990
- Diploma of the Thai Board of Plastic Surgery, 1992
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Chonburi Hospital, Chonburi, Thailand, 1992 – 1998
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Aikchol Hospital, Chonburi, Thailand, 1992 – 2006
- Founder and Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Dr Suporn Clinic, Chonburi, Thailand, 1992 – Present
Dr. Suporn has been allowing residents and graduates from the plastic and reconstructive surgery training program at King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, Bangkok, to observe his sex reassignment surgeries as part of their training and further education. Since 2013 he shares his experiences with the surgeons in training at the Department of Surgery of Chonburi hospital as part of their training as well.
Area of Specialization
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Member of the Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons of Thailand
- A New Method for Sensated Clitoris and Labia Minora Reconstruction in Male-to-Female Sex Reassignment Surgery
Presentation of 100 cases at the annual meeting of The Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand – 2002
- Paper 1: The Effectiveness of Full-Thickness Scrotal and Groin Skin Graft Vaginoplasty in MtF Sex Reassignment Surgery
Paper 2: The Results of Sensated Clitoris and Labia Minora Reconstruction Using Dorsal Neurovascular Glans Penis Preputial Island Flap (Chonburi Flap) in MtF Sex Reassignment Surgery
Latest results presented at the annual meeting of The 9th Oriental Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (OSAPS), 6th-10th December 2004 at The Shangri-La Hotel, Bangkok.
- Serving transgender people: clinical care considerations and service delivery models in transgender health.
The Lancet – 2016
- Speaker at The Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons of Thailand “Symposium of Sex Reassignment Surgery”
1st July 2003 at The Royal Golden Jubilee Building, Bangkok
- Speaker at Post-Congress Workshop OSAPS in Sex Reassignment Surgery “Male-to-Female Sex Reassignment Surgery with Glans Penis Preputial Flap’ (‘Suporn’s Technique’)”
9th-10th December 2004 at BNH Hospital, Bangkok